POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Why can't patterns be declared ? : Re: Why can't patterns be declared ? Server Time
1 Sep 2024 16:17:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why can't patterns be declared ?
From: Chris Huff
Date: 2 Mar 2001 15:51:04
Message: <chrishuff-C6F2EA.15492402032001@news.povray.org>
In article <3a9fd51c@news.povray.org>, "Rune" <run### [at] inamecom>
wrote:

> In MegaPov there's a pigment function feature which converts a
> pigment to a function. However, functions return floats, not vectors,
> so it really would be more logic if it took a pattern as input. I
> suspect that the only reason it takes a pigment as input is that
> patterns - for some reason - can't currently be declared.

That isn't the reason...before the spline_wave patch, the advantage of
pigments was that you could modify the pattern with a different
color_map. Now that is irrelevant, though, since you can use a
spline_wave as a float_map.

> So, there a lots of reasons to make it possible to declare patterns.
> Is there any specific reason that patterns can't be declared?

Not really...I've often thought that the syntax you describe would be
better. And this issue has been discussed before...another area that
would benefit is normals: MegaPOV now transforms the "bumps" along with
the pattern, which is often desired but sometimes not what you wanted, a
pattern{} block could be used to specify pattern-specific transforms.
I've recently figured out how to declare things, so I'll probably make
an attempt at this feature, it shouldn't be too difficult. The only
problem is that the "pattern" keyword is already used, but it's current
use is pretty unintuitive. (The "pattern" image type, which creates an
image from a pigment..."pigment_image" would be a better choice, in my
opinion. I don't think changing it would cause a lot of trouble...)

--
Christopher James Huff

<><